No one wants to enlist the help of flame restoration professionals. The practice of fire restoration is long and dull and will have your life. Follow these quick tips to prevent a fire at your home so you can steer clear of that time lost in your life.
First and most important have and examine fire alarms in your house. This will prevent a fire from moving unnoticed and hopefully prevent significant damage if one will occur. Most professionals that deal with fire and fire safety insist on assessing alerts at least two times per year. Do a practice drill with your family to make certain that everyone in your house knows where they should be and what they need to do in the event of a fire. It will alleviate the near future 1 AM wake-up phone of the alarm chirping for batteries and the search for them which follows.
Don’t allow people to smoke inside your home and don’t do it all yourself. Many fires start from a smoker who has carelessly disposed of ashes and cigarettes improperly. Should you smoke and allow people to smoke in your house use common sense. Never leave a cigarette unattended. Properly dispose of the leftover ash outside of your house in a container that’s stored at a distance from your property.
Fireplaces are another place that is on the record of fire novices. Have a professional out to inspect your chimney and chimney before the onset of the autumn season. Debris left from influenza can spark causing a small fire to smolder and eventually cause a disaster. When eliminating the ash out of the chimney make sure it has chilled. Never set a hot bucket of ashes on your own deck thinking it will cool and be fine. My neighbor did so and came home to see smoke billowing from all their vents along with the deck engulfed in flames. The bucket did nothing but run the heat causing the timber deck to catch on fire. Be cautious with fireplaces and maintain all matches where kids are not tempted to start a fire by themselves.
Candles are another bidding deal in preventing your home from catching fire. You shouldn’t leave candles unattended. Not even those inside containers. Be cautious in extinguishing all lit fires in your home until you leave the area or go to bed. If you make this custom it’s less likely you will ever accidentally forget to blow a candle out until you depart your property.
Lint from the dryer vents needs to be regularly checked, cleaned, and chipped out. It is encouraged that the lint is eliminated after every load is completed and that you vacuum the dryer vent area out once per month to prevent a build up of lint.
When you are having a fire outside your house, it is important to keep the flame safe from your property. When trimming leaves or having a campfire it’s important to make sure that the place is semi-moist to alleviate the spreading of fire. It’s crucial to keep brush and dry leaves cleared for your property. A dry brush will only help spread a fire if one happened to begin. They are a perfect igniter.
Another biggie is that you never should leave the stovetop unattended. Not only is it a fire danger but it’s also a safety threat to children. When food is boiling it is simple for the pot to boil over. If anything in the pot is flammable and it stems over it will ignite a fire in your kitchen.
Keep space heaters away from curtains and at least three feet away from walls and other flammable substances. Be sure that you turn off all space heaters when you leave the room or home. It’s like a candle but rather than a fire, you have a coil. I would recommend that space heaters not be utilized at all but to use them to be mindful and use care.
Last but not least I shall leave you with this one final tip in preventing fires from destroying your home and your pocketbook. Use common sense whenever flame, fire, and ashes are involved. Keep a fire extinguisher in your house just in case and be careful at all times. Your home is one of the largest investments you will ever make and fire may ruin it in moments.
Although it’s essential to be cautious of fire dangers year-round, taking the time to walk through the house fire safety checklist at least once a year can save you and your family’s life. When a fire happens, there isn’t any more time for planning. Act today, be ready!
For fire & smoke damage restoration, speak to our mitigation specialists!
In the unfortunate event that your home suffers fire damage, contact your insurance agent immediately. For skilled fire damage repair or smoke remediation solutions, contact your regional PuroClean of Clackamas office. Click here for more info about PuroClean.